top of page
Search

Nutrition On The Move: Staying Healthy While On Vacation



Happy Summer! This time of year is full of sunshine, beach days, and vacations. We all love a good summer vacation, but it can sometimes be a challenge to maintain a balanced diet while on the road. However, with a little bit of planning and some simple strategies, it's definitely possible to keep up with your nutrition goals and enjoy local cuisines as well. Being healthy doesn’t have to be all or nothing!


Here are 5 easy-to-follow tips to keep in mind while on vacation this summer:


1. Plan Ahead


Before you leave for your trip, take time to research your destination. It’s great to test out the local cuisine, so look for restaurants that offer nutritious options and grocery stores where you can stock up on healthy snacks. If you're road tripping, pack a cooler with fresh fruits, vegetables, lean proteins like Greek yogurt and hard-boiled eggs, and whole grain snacks.


2. Stay Hydrated


Traveling, especially on planes, can dehydrate you. Did you know your body can lose up to 8 ounces of water per hour of flying? Remember to drink plenty of water during your journey. Carry a reusable water bottle and refill it throughout the day. Avoid sugary drinks like soda and instead opt for water, unsweetened tea, or sparkling water. For an added hydration boost, pack some electrolytes to add to your water. I personally like Fluid electrolyte tablets for traveling.


3. Enjoy Local Produce


Summer is the perfect season to enjoy fresh, local produce, especially while traveling. Visit local farmers' markets or pick-your-own farms if they are available in your vacation area. This is a fantastic way to explore the local food scene and incorporate fresh fruits and veggies into your meals.


4. Practice Mindful Eating


Vacation is a time to relax, and that includes your diet. It’s okay to indulge a little, but be mindful of portion sizes. Follow the 80/20 rule: eat healthy foods such as lean proteins, produce, and whole grains 80% of the time, which leaves 20% of the time for those not-so-healthy options. Enjoy these guilt-free, but try to keep it to 20% of the time.


5. Don’t Skip Meals


It can be tempting to skip meals in order to save up for a big dinner, but this can lead to overeating. Aim to have balanced meals throughout the day, and remember to include snacks that have protein to keep you feeling satisfied. Some examples include a protein bar, trail mix, and beef jerky.


Remember, your vacation is a time to relax and enjoy yourself. Don't stress too much about perfect nutrition. Aim for balance, not perfection, and above all, enjoy your travels!


Ready to take control of your nutrition and health goals? I'm here to support you every step of the way. Enjoy a complimentary nutrition intro session for all new clients – click here to book your session today.


If you prefer to learn at your own pace, check out my online course, "8 Steps to Healthy." This comprehensive program includes video lessons, an eBook, and a workbook to help you build lasting, healthy habits that help you gain confidence in your food choices. With self-paced learning, you can move through the course at a speed that works for you. For any questions, feel free to reach out at emilyrd@emilyzorn.com or learn more about the course by clicking here.


For more nutrition insights, be sure to catch my podcast "RDs vs BS" on Apple Podcast, Spotify, or at www.rdsvsbs.com. Stay informed and empowered on your journey to better health!


15 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


bottom of page